Why don't we see pros win multiple tournaments

Off-topic banter, introductions, and forum games.

Why don't we see pros win multiple tournaments

Postby Zeo500 » August 31st, 2016, 7:39 am

I was just wondering. It seems to me like every game has its own cells of very good players, but they do not seem to cross to,other games. Sonic fox is fantastic in nether helm games, but while he's very good in SFV he is no where close to being as good as he is in MxX.

So my question is, do the pros usually focus on 1 series, or company (Capcom)?

I know Justin Wong has crisis crossed in tournaments between street fighter and marvel v s capcom. But for the most part it seems like players who are very good in a game focus on 1 series or company. Tokido, Daigo...yes they have played other games, but sf (in general)seems to be their game, their expertise.
Zeo500

Postby Ralenzo » August 31st, 2016, 8:37 am

Most top players have already proven that they can do well in other fighting games.
U simply don't see them winning/entering other tournaments because they focus on only a select few of games, and for good reasons.
At the very top anyone has the potential to beat anyone, the difference usually lies in who has done their homework.
So if a professional were to start competing in multiple games they'd have a much harder time beating other professionals who just focus in 1 game.
~ Analyzing your defeat would be a waste of time. The truth is painfully simple: You lost because you aren't me ~
Ralenzo

Gamertag: Ralenzo
PSN ID: Ralenzo

Postby Angelus » August 31st, 2016, 8:38 am

But it does happen though.

Xian, FChamp, PRBalrog and ChrisG have been getting top places in SF4, MVC3, KI, SF5.
Xian, Tokido and ChrisG also have great rankings in KoF.
For SonicFox it's indeed been MK games and Injustice, but he's also getting top rakings in Skullgirls.
Bananaken is also a name that often shows up with any anime game in the US. In the world, it's usually Dogura.

You could also see familiar names in other less popular games like SFxT, Rising Thunder and Pokken.
Angelus

Gamertag: steam: Angeluso

Postby Herminator » August 31st, 2016, 9:02 am

Zeo500 wrote:So my question is, do the pros usually focus on 1 series, or company (Capcom)?

Short answer is yes, long answer is a bit more complexed. FGC is in the bottom of the bin when it comes to profit out of an e-sport. Having a smaller amount of money to get around with also makes the hierarchy more concentrated, meaning that if you don't play the biggest fighters it's not really worth dedicating time into them.

Having that in mind it's natural pros will stick with their game they are good at. Sonicfox has potential of being pro at SF but at the end of the day what's the point when you can just keep on grinding NRS games and having Ed Boon basically donating money to you.

So yeah in conclusion people just priorities. But that doesn't mean you can't only be good at one game. Infiltration was the world champion at both sfxt and sf4 at the same time. Even when surfing through NRS games Sonicfox is arguably the best Skullgirls player in the world. Xiao hai is the king of KOF. There's probably more examples aswell
Herminator

Postby Zeo500 » August 31st, 2016, 9:47 am

Ok. Mi just ask because I play fighting games as a hobby. And I only play a sf variation (right now sfV) and mortal Kombat x.

I find it hard adjusting to the two games. If I play sfV for an hour, then play mkx later in the day I sort of need to adjust in the way I look at the game. In sf being more patient is very good, while,in mkx I find that sometimes just going ham is the best way to win. Also obviously you need to adjust to the game mechanics as well.
Zeo500

Postby Zeo500 » September 1st, 2016, 9:02 am

Another reason I ask is because while I think MKX can be fun, I just don't understand the game as well as Street Fighter. If I lose in street fighter I know why. IN MKX I have no idea why I lose. IN MLX I get knocked down and my opponent just keeps going, pressing buttons with what seems like little repercussions. It's the total opposite of how you play street fighter. So two fighting games, but two very different fighting games.
Zeo500

Postby Ralenzo » September 1st, 2016, 9:49 am

Did u go to training and study the characters you're having issues with?
Almost all strings have usually some sort of weakness to it, either by being interrupt-able, duck-able or punishable on block etc.
Your job is to recognize that weakness and to act accordingly.

Also MKX and SFV look different but have a lot of similarities. Both games force you to commit rather than to react, so in both you can get away with a lot of "unsafe" stuff.
And while MKX has a lot of High/Low BS, it still has footsies and a neutral game, in some ways it's easier to control the match compared to SFV because of the extra defensive options MKX provides.
There is a reason why SonicFox is so dominant, and it's not because he is good at guessing.

If you're from Europe we could always try and play some games if u want :thumbs:
~ Analyzing your defeat would be a waste of time. The truth is painfully simple: You lost because you aren't me ~
Ralenzo

Gamertag: Ralenzo

Postby Deadpool » September 6th, 2016, 11:17 am

Even the best lose sometimes. It keeps the SF universe in balance. Who would have thought that Diago would ever get into Losers. Just because you're good does'nt mean you're invincible. There is always someone better. Top players losing is a good thing. Learning from their mistakes, seldom as they may be can really help your own game as they are already playing at a much higher level than your are. Note to self.

WTF.... my default avatar has to change to something more awesome. (Fixed)
Deadpool

Return to BlockString Social Corner