One thing I have never understood

Meet up with others online.

One thing I have never understood

Postby Couchfighter » March 19th, 2016, 9:06 am

Is why the word 'E-Sports' is such a negative loaded word among fighting games players. One would think having big tournaments accesible to watch online with great players competing for fame and big cash prizes is a good thing but apparently it is not? At the same time, 'everyone' watches and comments on every major fighting games tournament.

So what I need is for some of you who are infinitely wiser than me to explain this aversion to the term for me. Was things better when fighting games was about lining up quarters on the arcade cabinets and the whole point of competing was to protect your local arcade pride?
Couchfighter

Postby Helnova » March 19th, 2016, 10:53 am

They're jealous they arn't good enough to compete for the big cash.

Now... we are free.
Helnova

Gamertag: FBV Helnova
PSN ID: Helnova

Postby PsychoOrigami » March 19th, 2016, 11:15 am

Sorry for being a jerk but I never did like watching other people play games
PsychoOrigami

PSN ID: PsychoOrigami

Postby PsychoOrigami » March 19th, 2016, 11:15 am

Other than vinesauce they are funny
PsychoOrigami

PSN ID: PsychoOrigami

Postby NewKama-takamura » March 19th, 2016, 11:39 am

Because E-sports is full of PEGI standards company's trying to cash in and fake personality's its basically WWE.

FGC is a very urban/personal/uncensored category among professional game community's especially in the early days where there was no money no sponsorship it was just people competing for themselves their honor and love for the games.

So while the money and sponsorships and all that stuff is nice it does come at the cost of moving away from tradition where people would play for fun talk shit and act like the people they are.

Now we got stupid shows with Gootecks and Mike ross which are staged and they dont even play serious just to be funny not to mention the whole Lupe vs Daigo fiasco.

Fighting games are 1on1 and up close and personal there's alot of emotion involved E-sports is kinda invading that aspect.
Last edited by NewKama-takamura on March 20th, 2016, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewKama-takamura

Gamertag: KAMA
PSN ID: KAMA

Postby Couchfighter » March 19th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Thanks for the replies and for explaining to me what the e-sports hate is all about!

I personally would have liked the FGC contestants, personalities and followers to be more censored. Many contestants behave like manchildren, we have very sexist pricks like Aris who seems to be very popular, and if I forget to close the twitch chat before Ricki Ortiz or a grill appear on the camera I immediately want to stab myself.

A little bit of growing up would be good for the FGC and making it more accepted (something I know a lot of people don't care about or are directly against, as well). I knew I probably wasn't going to see the light against E-sports when I came here asking, but now I at least know the why!
Couchfighter

Postby Omega-Desu » March 19th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Helnova wrote:They're jealous they arn't good enough to compete for the big cash.

I was about to reply "They're just jealous" but Helnova beat me to it. Though it's true it's apparently less personal but the FGC can be jerks so it's variable.

NewKama-takamura wrote:So while the money and sponsorships and all that stuff is nice it does come at the cost of moving away from tradition where people would play for fun talk shit and act like the people they are.

I find fighting games are one of the biggest offenders of replacing fun for competitive seriousness in both its games and its elitist communities. I don't care if Street Fighter V plays like a wet dream or a basket of ass its whole layout has been stripped of anything fun imo. Seasoned characters, little to no single player content, bare-bones release with promised future content (though Destiny comes to mind here). My view/opinion of course.
Omega-Desu

Gamertag: OmegaBPK

Postby NewKama-takamura » March 19th, 2016, 2:14 pm

I hate censorship and i love talking shit so i love Aris and the way the fgc is.

Lack of content has in sfv has nothing to do with the community thats capcoms fault also the community is competitive so ofcourse thats a huge focus its how street fighter has survived in the first place competitive players spending their money on matches in arcade machines.
NewKama-takamura

Gamertag: KAMA
PSN ID: KAMA

Postby Ralenzo » March 19th, 2016, 2:28 pm

Street Fighter survived because of Arcade Mode :kappa:
~ Analyzing your defeat would be a waste of time. The truth is painfully simple: You lost because you aren't me ~
Ralenzo

Gamertag: Ralenzo
PSN ID: Ralenzo

Postby Pecka' » March 19th, 2016, 5:34 pm

I... don't really give a shit.
Pecka'

Return to Online Discussion