Welcome to BlockString.com!

Postby Ralenzo » March 16th, 2013, 7:51 am

Oops, I meant right, sorry.
~ Analyzing your defeat would be a waste of time. The truth is painfully simple: You lost because you aren't me ~
Ralenzo

Gamertag: Ralenzo
PSN ID: Ralenzo

Postby KEP » March 16th, 2013, 9:59 am

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm afraid we're all going to have to accept a lighter color scheme as I'm going for a more professional look, and a dark professional looking scheme is MUCH harder to pull off (I'll see what I can do though). I'd like to get some more opinions before making a bunch of changes, and I've already accepted the fact that it will be impossible to please everyone. If any of you graphics people would like to have a go at the banner, please do. The dimensions are 920x255.
Sometimes I jump at Guile.
KEP
Site Admin

Gamertag: Tarkanian
PSN ID: TheKEP

Postby Raizurhk » March 16th, 2013, 10:14 am

I goa ask but what is the change even for? Attracting new members? if so i dont matter how the site looks or works considering every new member there has ever been has got here by word of mouth only. So a more professional look is completely pointless especially when we have to bleach our eyeballs afterwards.
Raizurhk

PSN ID: Raizur_HK

Postby KEP » March 16th, 2013, 10:26 am

Raizurhk wrote:I goa ask but what is the change even for? Attracting new members? if so i dont matter how the site looks or works considering every new member there has ever been has got here by word of mouth only. So a more professional look is completely pointless especially when we have to bleach our eyeballs afterwards.

I answered this a few posts ago. I'm switching forum software to a more modern and easily maintainable software. I know the color scheme will take some getting used to (and I'll see if I can make it any darker while still keeping it looking professional), but a lot of prominent sites have white schemes, and they're doing just fine (shoryuken, eventhubs, optionselect, etc.).
KEP
Site Admin

Postby KEP » March 16th, 2013, 10:26 am

Screen with multiple posts by request...

KEP
Site Admin

Postby Omega-Desu » March 16th, 2013, 10:35 am

SRK, EH etc are top players in the FGC. They're like YouTube. "If you don't like it feel free to go somewhere else" which people likely won't because they know they're at the best place for what they need/want. We don't have that privy sadly.

I'd think just based off the feedback already that nearly every member prefers the darker layout and when you make something completely white it may look professional but it looks like every other board going and would likely attract even less members.
Spoiler: show
I know it might not be the same forum type, just an example on looks
A simplified darker layout might work but I'm not sure how many items/colours need editing.

The banner I actually like and what makes it better is that it's designed so that its colour can be edited easily to match the style of the forum (such as the cyan colour we have now) but I agree with Taka that it could do with some small extras to make it less plain.

After seeing those multiple posts it's pretty hard to tell posts apart since the lines/separators are so feint and one thing that caught my eye was the quotations looking like a thin lined, transparent box in posts.

Wall of Text over.
Omega-Desu

Gamertag: OmegaBPK

Postby Ralenzo » March 16th, 2013, 11:39 am

I didn't like the white look of eventhubs at first either, but after a while I grew accustomed to it, It'll be the same for this site, I'm sure of it :)

Omega sure knows what she's talking about :D
~ Analyzing your defeat would be a waste of time. The truth is painfully simple: You lost because you aren't me ~
Ralenzo

Gamertag: Ralenzo

Postby Ramma » March 16th, 2013, 11:43 am

I agree with Taka. Could we at least put the chat at the top? Or have an optional darker skin. I don't care for the light look of SRK or EH either so I used the dark skin when possible. I don't think gamers care about a basic look. it can be clean and professional but still look bad ass. That describes the current look IMO.

I think if you aren't moving the chat, at least put the side bar on the left. The right side bar is weird. Most sites operate on the left.

The logo could use some work. It's not an appetizing green. Agree with Omega about its adaptability

Just my opinion. Minus the chat location, I like the layout.
Street Fighter V - Main: Cammy |Secondary: Necalli...?
Ultra Street Fighter IV - Main: Cody | Secondary: Zangief
Ramma
Site Mod

Gamertag: RammaCricket
PSN ID: RammaCricket

Postby KEP » March 16th, 2013, 11:48 am

I think I've figured out a darker scheme guys. I'll come back with it when it's done (not sure how long it'll take). I've posted a question on the forum developer's forum for help on moving the chatbox. Stay tuned.
KEP
Site Admin

Postby Angelus » March 16th, 2013, 4:16 pm

It's pretty good, but chat at the top and a darker tint would please me greatly!
Angelus

Gamertag: steam: Angeluso

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements